Be sure to brush your teeth right after every meal and before you go to bed. It's best to use a fluoride toothpaste to help fight cavities. Your orthodontist may prescribe a fluoride mouth rinse to help prevent cavities. Try to brush like this:
- Start by brushing the outside of each tooth at least 10 times.
- Then brush where your gums and teeth meet, using a circular motion.
- Brush the inside surface of each tooth at least 10 times too.
- Brush the chewing surfaces of your teeth last.
Yes, you will need to continue to see your dentist for regular checkups.
There may be a little discomfort after adjustments, but Tylenol or Advil can usually remedy any discomfort.
While you are wearing braces, you can eat almost all of your favorite foods. Please stay away from these troublemakers:
- Sticky foods like gum, taffy and caramels
- Hard foods like apples and carrots (cut them into pieces)
- Crunchy foods like corn chips, popcorn and nuts
- Sweet foods like cake, cookies and candy
Because your toothbrush won't reach between your teeth, brushing alone won't keep your teeth clean and healthy. Flossing can help. A floss threader, available from us or a pharmacy, helps you floss with braces on. Floss once a day, like this:
1. Thread floss through the threader and slip it up behind your archwire.
2. Pull the floss between two teeth and up under your gum margins.
3. Rinse with lots of clean water, and watch your teeth and braces sparkle!
Use a fluoridated toothpaste. Your orthodontist may prescribe a fluoride rinse if necessary.
We let our patients know their estimated completion date. We also let our patients know that if they miss or reschedule appointments, don't wear their elastics and do not cooperate, it will take longer.
In this section you will find care and use instructions for various orthodontic appliances.
If you have questions that aren't answered here, please feel free to contact our office.
Centre & 12th Dental would love to meet you and your family and provide you with the dental care you deserve! Our office is easily accessible to those living near Calgary to get the care they deserve.Request An Appointment Online
Or call us today at: 403-230-2288